Tuesday, July 20, 2010

Rick Bayless Comes to Bloom Grade



Uncle Steve came through with a delicious hearty bread: Lentil Curry. The subtitles of the curry added excellent flavor accompanied well with creamy goat cheese.






We have a dutch oven, we are tired of stews, lentils, and mush. We have a big crowd to feed and I, personally, have a recent obsession with shellfish. The solution for the Bloom Grade cook-out entree: PAELLA.

Not just any Paella, but the quirky, confidently gringo Mexican Paella of our one and dear Rick Bayless! O how this man continues to bring good times to my family. Saturday night (July 17), my father took charge of the Dutch Oven to produce a wonder of a rice dish. After removing the cooked the chicken breasts with garlic and onion, he added bell peppers, celery and canned roasted tomatoes to steam the rice with saffron threads. Then added the pre-cooked chorizo, nestled around scallops, mussels and clams. After steaming all together for two hours, he served with fresh parsley. A beautifully vibrant yellow, this Paella was a decent first attempt to a Spanish classic (room for improvement, somewhat porridge paella after being steamed for too long). Undoubtedly, this dish will return for more Bloom Grade festivities.

With my encouragement and in honor of my PNW summer cook-outs, we started with grilled oysters on the camp fire. My Dad had this ridiculously hot Belize Heat hot sauce, that added a strong kick to the oysters. Chilled white wine was all the motivation my mom needed to try the oysters. She was impressed, to say the least, and my Dad is definitely converted to the oyster-grilling contingency. I expect there will be more oysters to come.






No comments:

Post a Comment